The Berryville Public Library was established in 1938. It was located in a small room on the third floor of the town’s courthouse, which now is the Carroll County Heritage Center. People eager to have a library in their community donated most of the library’s books. The Berryville Public Library became part of the North Arkansas Regional Library System in 1944. At that time the library had about 1,000 volumes. During the first years of operation it was open to the public just two afternoons a week. In 1944 the library established story hours for children. Story Hour was held on Thursdays in the Carroll County Courtroom, adjacent to the library. During the same year, The Star Progress, the weekly Berryville newspaper, announced that the library checked out 2,798 items in just one month.
In June 1950 construction began on a new library facility. The new building was small, twenty by fifty-nine feet, but with restrooms and basement storage, it offered more space for the expanding book collection and services. The building, located next to the old courthouse on the Town Square, was dedicated on May 12, 1951.
In 1978 Carroll County Arthur Judge Carter and the Carroll County Health Department built a modern brick building to house both the Health Department and the library. Although the library is still in the building, the Library Board nearly doubled its size with an addition to the structure built in 1990.
With every location change, the library has grown in popularity within its community and in the entire county. It serves a growing population with its diverse book and audio collections, up-to-date reference materials, and innovative programming.
The Berryville Public Library has sorely outgrown its current location. A Capital Fund Committee has been formed and there are major fundraising plans in the future with the goal of a new library for Berryville, Arkansas.